Friday, November 12, 2010

Omaha Beach and other true stories.



I covered three veterans’ events yesterday. The first was for me, the most powerful emotionally. It was in a gated community of seniors, they had seven World War two veterans living there. Pictured here is Joseph Russo who served as a medic. He had a large collection of photos in the box to his right, and a large, framed newspaper photo of the ship he shipped out on. I think the photo he was most proud of was the framed composite of his family he points to on the table.
Sitting next to Mr. Russo is Albert Firocella who shared an incredible story of the night of June 6, 1944, Normandy. How the sky was ablaze like 1000 forth of July’s. I can’t imagine the feeling a young man of eighteen or twenty years old felt huddled in a landing craft, waiting to land on a foreign soil for the first time in his life.
The both enjoyed telling their stories to whoever would listen.

12 comments:

S. Etole said...

such a kindly look on his face ...

Suburban Girl said...

O am sure their stories are amazing to hear. We have WW2 day in June in a place about an hour a way. There are often vets there telling their stories. They are fascinating.

Anonymous said...

i am glad that you were listening.

T. Becque said...

Oh wow, I would have loved to have been there and simply listened. Good that you were.

Lynne said...

So difficult for us to imagine what it was like for them all.

Hilary said...

I'm glad that you were there to listen and to share. Thank you for this.

Lori said...

Just seeing the picture and your words gave me goosebumps. I would have loved to have heard their stories. Congratulations on POTW mention at Hilary's.

Anonymous said...

I would have loved to be there to hear their stories. I hope someone has recorded them speaking and has also written those stories down for the future generations.
Congratulations on this POTW!

Cricket said...

Indeed... the stories. Some things really need to be preserved. Great photo. Tells a story of its own.

Congratulations on your potw.

Unknown said...

I so wish I could have heard their stories. I think older people have so much to share. They have a unique way of looking at the world. I love what they can teach us and remind us of. Big things. Great big things. I honor those men and women who have fought for our country. What a beautiful thing to do with their lives.

Linda at To Behold The Beauty said...

We have a friend who is a WW II vet. There aren't many of them left. Our friend just turned 87. But he's a great guy, and we love listening to his stories. I loved your photo.

Maria said...

They are living history!