Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Harbor Seal



My family and I made breakfast for the homeless through our church yesterday morning. We’ve been doing this for a few years. We get up at 4:45, and make pancakes or eggs for 30 or so homeless folks that are picked up and housed overnight in local churches. We are part of a group that volunteers for a nondenominational organization called Maureen’s Haven. . Maureen’s Haven, rotates among a few churches here on the eastern end of Long Island, and runs over the winter months when the elements are most severe. It’s an eye opening experience and I’m glad the boys come and help. We always get to work with some nice folks.
This time we meet a new couple that just joined Christ Our Saviour Lutheran Church. Colleen is a bike rider who rides with our pastor. We’ve heard stories about her and bike riding for quite some time from Pastor. So it was nice to put a face to the name. Her husband, Phil told us about a seal release that was going to take place at noon. Even though I needed to go to a meeting, I was able to meet my wife and sons at the release point and watch as the second Harbor Seal get released into the wild.
This little guy did not want to swim away. He kept rolling around in the surf back towards the crowd on the beach. Being so late I couldn’t really get to close. There were little children in front of me and they kept walking in front of my camera. This is one of the only images I’m happy with.

No comments: