Saturday, March 6, 2010

Our First Signs of Spring

 
 
Spring usually happens later here on the eastern end of Long Island. Later than the western end of the island. This, I believe is because the western portion is closer to the equator. Just my theory. The east end enjoys slightly less snow in winter do to the Gulf stream, go figure.
I came home from food shopping and say these little flowers. My wife and I don't remember planting anything there. They first appeared last year. Spring is right around the corner.
 

6 comments:

Cynthia L. H. said...

Oh! I just love those! I need to find out what they are called. My White Garden needs them.
I just posted my first signs of spring.
;^)

georgia b. said...

really????

i've not seen anything like that yet here. although, i would not be surprised if we do see it over the next couple of days. it's supposed to be near 50 on monday!

what are those flowers? i must get some, as i need spring to appear earlier and earlier for me the older i get. i always see crocuses first before anything. sometimes even when there is still snow on the ground.

Lynne said...

Snowdrops, harbingers of spring. They are such a welcome flower. Ours were covered in snow yesterday.

S. Etole said...

what a delicate little flower ...

Elaina M. Avalos said...

That is an encouraging sight!

Suburban Girl said...

Love the composition of this.