Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Fiddleheads


I've only recently learned of fiddleheads being a delicacy. In the past I just photographed their beauty and intricate design.
Searching the net, I've come across statements like,  Fiddlehead Greens are the premium wild forage vegetable of Spring. No other vegetable matches the exquisite form and delicious flavor of fresh Fiddleheads. Fiddleheads have antioxidant activity, are a source of Omega 3 and Omega 6, and are high in iron and fibre, is cited on Wikipeada to Agriculture Canada Study.
These beauties were next to our cabin in Vermont. In the past, I've posted ferns from the yard.
Maybe I'll harvest a few of my ferns and make a stir-fry.

9 comments:

CorvusCorax12 said...

very popular here in New Brunswick, have to admit though that i never tried them.

S. Etole said...

Your quote doesn't show up for me but the photo is fascinating.

Jinksy said...

I must say they look a bit hairy for eating! :)

Elizabeth Grimes said...

Let us know how they taste! They sure photograph nicely. :)

Nancy said...

So aptly named. I didn't know they were edible. You first. ;)

Anonymous said...

i keep thinking that it wasn't all that long ago that you were taking shots of snow or ice.

i like their furry look in the light.

Hilary said...

I love fiddleheads.. and have bought them and picked them wild. They're wonderful if you microwave them for a few minutes, then sautée then in butter with garlic and white wine. Adding toasted almonds to them is great, too. Dust them with Parmesan cheese when ready to serve.

BUT.. not all ferns yield edible or tasty fiddleheads. You want to find Ostrich ferns for that. The ones in your photo look kind of fuzzy and small-headed for Ostrich ferns.

http://thesmittenimage.blogspot.com/2010/05/and-speaking-of.html

Anonymous said...

i also like the way the small green leaves are alight.

Anonymous said...

I have never seen a "fiddlehead" before.. so cute..

I'm back Mr Steve..where are you?