Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Congregational Church of Patchogue

 
There's a stretch of highway here on Long Island that runs nearly the whole length of the island. It is known by many different names, officially it is NY27A, but in every village it passes through it becomes Main Street, and for a good length of Suffolk County; Montauk Highway. When you cross the county line into Nassau, it becomes Merrick Road.
I've always been fascinated by the amount of churches along 27A, so much that I thought one day I'd make a photo essay on all the places of worship along the road.
Maybe today's could be the start of the project. This is the interior of the Congregational Church on Main Street in Patchogue. This photo doesn't do it any justice, the church is awesome.
This was made with the Canon 5d mkII from two exposures. The first exposure was for the room and the second was for the stain glass. I used ACR and Photoshop.

4 comments:

Mrs. E said...

I am fascinated by churches, too-- inside, outside, old, abandoned, and new. I love this.

S. Etole said...

this should be an interesting series ...

georgia b. said...

very nice shot.

seeing it instantly brought me back to college days on choir tours throughout the u.s. and europe. we sang in so many churches during my four years there, and i got to see the insides of so many sanctuaries just like this. i miss those days so much! i miss singing immensely!

Lynne said...

It has a peacefulness about it.