Sunday, March 6, 2011

HDR expained (somewhat)







I needed to photograph this house which is part of park on the former land of the Van Bourgondien's of the famous Tulip fame. So I made a HDR and a straight image for illustrative purposes, since some asked what it was.
I use a program from Photomatix Pro to process my HDR images, there's a few different programs on the market and I've seen incredible results from a few of them.
HDR stands for high dynamic range. In HDR, the photographer takes multi exposures of the same scene, a camera meter exposure, and over exposure and an under exposure. The program combines the
exposures basically filling in the lost detail in the highlight and shadow parts of the image.
With the control sliders you can adjust the effects to no end.
Mostly I just enjoy getting the most detail I can in an image. But, some photographers make some outrageous images with HDR. Google HDR images to see some of the more outrageous.

6 comments:

Elizabeth Grimes said...

You could hear me going "OOOOH!" :) I get it now. Thanks for clearing that up.

S. Etole said...

Interesting process ... it really brought the color out.

Anonymous said...

i agree with susan that the colour is brought out, and in this photo that is better to me.

i also notice better detail.

thanks for doing this illustration.
it's interesting to see the two photographs together.

T. Becque said...

I like the style of that house. I would love to try HDR sometime (need the program first), I love some of the results (not too over the top though like you said!).

Mrs. E said...

Call me crazy--I love your SOOC. I'm going to have to check out that website! Happy Monday!

21 Wits said...

Oh my! There's especially a grand difference in the rich blue sky!