Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Backlit leaves


Many years ago I worked in a ma-pa camera store called Cam-Ra Fair. Fred and Greta were the ma & pa, and they were great people to work for. At the time, we lived in an apartment and I didn't have a darkroom. Fred let me build a Black and White lab in the back of the store. It was win win, we offered custom black and white printing services and I got to have a darkroom again.
One day a young lady came in and wanted me to print an 8 X10 of backlit Maple leaves from her 35mm negative. 
It was a beautiful photo and I must have exposed dozens of frames trying to emulate that photo. I never came close.
I made this photo last Saturday while waiting for Evan to finish work. It's a color file and I wasn't happy with it. Today, I had the bright idea to change it to grayscale and play around with the tones a bit.
Much better. It's not Maple leaves, but it comes close to what I remember of that impressive photo.

2 comments:

S. Etole said...

I like the B/W version ... very striking.

Elizabeth Grimes said...

That is neat! Love how that turned out. Something different and unexpected.