Sunday, April 29, 2012

Decisions


It wasn't that long ago, I would be driving my son somewhere and be listening to him dream out loud. He loves playing sports. He wrestled, played football, and runs cross-country. But there was nothing he loves more that playing lacrosse. That changed this spring. Our team will play sixteen games this season, ten of which are over. They lost the first ten, a couple of those were shut-outs. In the next six contests, there are only two we could possibly do well in.
There's a few problems, we lost out best defensive player to a serious injury. We have a very young program where many of our players are only playing for the first time as they enter high school. Our school is very small, it you try-out for almost any sport you'll make the team. I don't believe we ever have any team cuts. Having a small school, we sometimes get put in a league with larger schools. Our football team, which also has a horrendous record, has the same players playing offense and defense. Sometimes we'll be playing a school that has a different offense and defense as well as an A and B squad. The last problem, kids get discouraged and so do coaches. We loose coaches and sometimes that a good thing and sometimes the lose of continuity is not such a good thing.
But, none of those things are my problem. My problem is my son. I feel he pain, but worse, I just don't know what to say to help lift his spirits and keep him in the game. He doesn't want to play lacrosse anymore, not now, not next year, not in college. 
I'm no different from most any other parents; I want the best for my kids. I want them to work hard and to see the rewards of their hard work. I also want him to make his own decisions. I just feel he looking at the short term. Now is the time to play lacrosse. After high school, after college, there will be limited opportunities, if any, to play.
This photo is from Friday night's game. Evan is in the white jersey. He is the leading scorer on his team.

7 comments:

Mrs. E said...

I feel his pain and your pain.

Some things to remind him:
*there are valuable lessons to learn from winning and losing.
*there are younger players looking up to him and the encouraging example he sets.
*sometimes, the losing programs are the shoulders that the future successful programs are built on.

Anonymous said...

Yes, as a parent...
Try not to worry, and hand it over to the Lord.
Listening is good...most kids don't even talk about things.
Just Love him; Love is most important.

And i will even try to take my own advice...how's that?

Anonymous said...

oh...thanks for sharing...
and nice photograph of youth in action.

Kalei's Best Friend said...

As parents we all go thru something similar to what u are going thru.. whether its sports, death, choosing a college that may not be favored... I have learned that kids need to make their decisions.. We as parents can't make it for them.. They have to learn life lessons.. We all do.. Even if we don't agree, its their decision and they have to face whatever it is.. Take the good w/the bad.. If your son feels so badly about the loss to the point where he wants to quit- so be it.. He will find his niche in something else... We think we know what is best, but I feel our kids will ultimately know better than us.

Melissa said...

It is a nice photo, I agree. It's demoralizing being on a losing team. Whatever decision he makes, hope he will have lots of good memories of his time with this team.

S. Etole said...

Praying for wisdom for both of you. What a great photo you have in the meantime.

Anonymous said...

That's a fantastic picture, Steve. Winning is much more fun, for sure. I hope things work out for Evan.