Saturday, January 23, 2010

Sneakers on a line

 
I can remember seeing sneakers on power lines ever since I was a youngster. Recently, I learned that the police consider this a sign of gang activity. The power company has to report any sneakers on a line to the police. They photograph them and make a record of where it was and then remove them. They say it's how gangs outline their territory. ( I'd love to have that job! Hey Steve, there's some sneakers on 5th and Broadway....)
When I was a kid, after the school year was over, you took your old gym shoes and tried too get them around the power lines. It had nothing to do with anything, it was just something to do with some old smelly shoes.
I made this with the Canon G10 and processed it with Photomatix Tone Mapping program. I got an added bonus when the sky and the power lines took on a stained glass look to me.
 

6 comments:

georgia b. said...

: )

this had me laughing out loud... the "i'd love to have that job" bit.

funny photo. i love random shots like that.

glad you saw {and liked} the icicle shots. those were the ones i was referring to in my earlier comment.

Mrs. E said...

I love random shots, too. I've never heard of that. I like the idea that it is a bunch of Junior High kids killing time! :)

S. Etole said...

I think I am getting too old for some of these new trends ... :-)

Hilary said...

Oh i never would have thought gang activity.. just bored kids. Great shot. And interesting word verifications with "fliers."

Anonymous said...

Here in the Seattle Area it is usually a marker for a drug exchange spot... "meet you at x and x streets under the shoes..." sad.

Suburban Girl said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I've seen in my whole life too, I just stopped in the road because I had never seen such a large bunch of them before.