Thursday, December 30, 2010

Fire Island









I took a ride to Fire Island mainly because there's usually a lot of deer roaming around. I wasn't disappointed, I just didn't get what I was looking for.

This is the Fire Island National Seashore Lighthouse and two deer from among maybe twenty or so grazing in the grass. There's plenty of signs telling people not to feed the deer. It's a New York State Law, but it doesn't stop many people. It not healthy for the deer to eat human food, there's plenty of natural things for them to eat, and deer are big carriers of ticks.

I found it funny that deer would walk up to cars, but they were afraid of me on foot. Maybe next time, maybe I'll drive up to the deer in my car.

4 comments:

S. Etole said...

They can be extremely wary and they can be extremely curious ... one never knows.

Hope your New Year is doubly blessed.

Anonymous said...

did a little reading, via wikipedia.
some interesting history.
i like the lighthouse
and the redness of the bare limbs.

i also read that the busiest day at
the fire island lighthouse is new year's day.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/towns/long-island-now-1.1732330/fire-island-lighthouse-rings-in-new-year-1.2573783

we have been getting a lot of rain lately.
but, the east winds are coming now...so it
should get cold and windy.

might just fire up the wood stove tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

My boss grew up on Long Island and summered at Fire Island. She has spoke of the deer. These are wonderful pictures that helped me visualized the many stories she has told me.

Steve, thank you for being so kind and sharing your lovely world with us all. Have a wonderful New Years Eve and all the best for 2011!!!!!

Cynthia L. H. said...

Beautiful photos!
;^)
Happy New Year!