Sunday, November 22, 2009

A commercial break



I tried to post the text to this post last night, but something went wrong. Half the text never showed yup on the post, and the other half was a link to no where. The link thing has happened to me before.

I'm a sucker for Christmas. The smell of a burning fireplace, cookies baking and the fresh cut tree that graces out living room. For me,  the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade is the start of the whole thing. Yea, I know many people consider Macy's just another big box store. And I know that there's a lot of big box stores that do altruistic things. I know the Parade is really a big advertisement for Macy's. But, they don't have to do it. When times are tough in the retail world, they could of pulled the plug. They could have made room for another retail giant to step up to the plate and foot the bill for the parade.
They always hung in there, even when battling bankruptcy.
I have childhood memories of sitting in front of the TV waiting for the end of the parade just to see the real Santa. I know he's the real Santa, I've seen Miracle on 34th Street enough to know Macy's has the real Santa.
So, call me what you may, this is my soft spot. Shopping at Macy's Herald Square the week between Christmas and New Years has become a tradition for the family. We love riding the wooden  escalators and getting snacks in The Cellar. If the boys get any cash of Christmas, the look at the after holiday mark downs to find bargains. Cel and I always look for half off Christmas cards and wrapping paper of the following year.
Maybe we'll be lucky enough  to get snow again for the train ride home.




1 comment:

S. Etole said...

Thanks for the visit to this part of the world ...