Monday, June 14, 2010

Flag Day 2010



Today is Flag Day here in the United States. I spent a good portion of my day in a local government building and nothing special was done. It commemorates the adoption of the flag of the United States by the Second Continental Congress in 1777.
I didn't post an American Flag today, although I did stop at a filling station which used the American Flag as a decoration. I wanted to continue my series on the Calverton Farm, so I'm posting a Parking sign.
In my mind the farmers Parking sign is similar to American Flags used at the Gas Stations in that both are used to attract customers. The flags have little or nothing to do with gas stations.
Most likely, the gas comes from a Middle Eastern country and the men behind the counter are Turkish. They use the flag as a lure to make us believe we are doing something American. Enough... you know how much it irks me to see an American Flag used as an advertisement, or an article of clothing or to miss-lead people. Do you want to be patriotic? Fly an American Flag, not twenty five around your business.
As the weeds gently blow in the wind, the snow fence offers a barrier between a place for you to park and the fields that were once abundant with crops.

5 comments:

S. Etole said...

There's sadness in this ...

Anonymous said...

i like the photo.

in my opinion, most advertising has become very sick.

T. Becque said...

I like the composition of this very much!
Thank you for the encouragement of a book - what an idea - that could keep me occupied for some time!

Mrs. E said...

I'm with you on the flag. It irritates me to see a fast food restaurant fly an American flag with their "fast food" flag flying right below it!

I also love the fact, that most signs say "No Parking," and this one is saying it is ok to park!

Suburban Girl said...

This is a beautiful photo. The composition is perfect and if you think about it, it is kind of like a US flag. I see red and white stripes with a rectangle in the upper left. The flowers are like many stars. Maybe a bit of a stretch, but i see it!