Saturday, June 26, 2010

The Garden




This is where I've spent most of my time this month. Tomatoes, peppers bell, jalapeno chili and others, zucchini, string beans, snap peas, cucumbers and lettuce, I love fresh vegetables, we love fresh vegetables. I jar fresh salsa and tomatoes and they last all year. I tried pickles, but we didn't like the taste of them. I usually don't get all that many cucumbers. The past few years I've given the surplus to Sally and her daughter next door.( That's Sally's house in the background of the top photo.)
Gardening is a lot of work but I find it very rewarding. There's a great feeling from seeing things you plant, grow. There's even a better feeling when you' re eating the fruits of your labor.
For me, even working the soil in early spring is special for me, almost religious. I get a feeling of being closer with God as I turn the soil and rake in the compost and peat moss. Sounds crazy, but for me all the hard work is enjoyable.

4 comments:

Mrs. E said...

Life began in a garden-- and somehow it is easy to feel more alive in a garden, too! : )

SiLa said...

I know what do you mean. We too have a small garden and it is so good to dig fingers in to the ground :)))

S. Etole said...

Your efforts are paying off well ...

Anonymous said...

i'll take some of those zucchini blossoms!